You know the smell of a stinking carpet.
Sometimes water or soup may accidentally spill on your carpet floor and make it dump. Small kids might also pee on the carpet. Despite your efforts to vacuum it and mop the floor, you might realize that there is still a foul smell.
It’s infuriating. Just imagine if guests came to your house and noticed the horrible smell? It’s quite a shame. It is evident that some guests will not tell you about it.
But nobody will understand that you tried to clean it. They will go with that image of your stuffy house and may not wish to revisit you.
You don’t have to worry.
That is something that you can do to get rid of the smell and live in comfort without worries. Below are four ways of getting rid of carpet orders depending on the type of the odor.
1. How to clean general odors
- If your carpet has soiled areas, start by removing them. You can remove dried spills and dab soap on areas that can be seen. Remove any wetness from it. Doing this puts it in a better condition before eliminating the smell.
- To neutralize the odors, sprinkle baking soda on your carpet. You can spread it out using your hand. You can then allow the baking soda to stay on the mat overnight. Ensure that you keep it out of reach of
- The next step is to vacuum the baking soda. Be careful while using the vacuum cleaner to prevent baking soda from filling it.
Use a deep treatment if the baking soda doesn’t get rid of the odor.
- You will need 30 ml of hydrogen peroxide
- 59 ml of baking soda
- 5 ml of liquid soap
- 1 liter of water
- Pour all the ingredients into an open container and mix them.
- Spray the treatment on the carpet and ensure that it doesn’t saturate the carpet.
- Leave it untouched for 24 hours.
- Soak excess liquid using a towel and let the rest to dry.
2. How to remove smoke odors
Smoke can cause your room to be stuffy in case something burnt in your house. You can use ammonia or white vinegar to get rid of it.
- Put Vinegar or ammonia in 2 or 3 bowls.
- Do not fill the bowls completely.
- Put the bowls in your room which has the carpet with a smoke odor.
- Avoid mixing ammonia and vinegar as it will release harmful gases.
- Use one of them. The vinegar or ammonia will aid to break down the smell of smoke in your room. Don’t apply the ammonia or vinegar on the carpet surface. Just put the bowl in that room and let it stay for 24 hours.
You can also get rid of smoke odor by running a steam cleaner over a carpet. Ensure that you read instructions provided on the machine.
3. Getting rid of pet smell
It is normal for pets to urinate on carpets. You know how their smell can be awful. You can clean the urine spot using a paper towel. Once you dry the spot, use clean water to wet it and dab that place with a paper towel.
- You can also use baking soda by pouring its layer on the carpet when it is still wet.
- Let it stay overnight.
- Green dish detergent can also clean a carpet with pet urine. You can apply it on a wet paper towel and clean the area with a soapy towel.
- You can also spray the pet urine spots on your carpet with white vinegar. The area may produce foam due to the reaction of baking soda and vinegar. Don’t be tempted to remove the baking soda as that is normal. The reaction removes the smell of urine. You should always let the white vinegar to stay for five minutes.
- Another way of getting rid of pet urine is by use of a carpet steam cleaner. You might consider using a Rug doctor or a Green machine.
4. How to get rid of mold odor
Mold produces a strange smell in your house. High humidity in your house can cause the growth of mold. First of all, you need to reduce moisture by opening windows to let out cooking steam. During showers, you can run a fan or use a dehumidifier.
Remove excess water with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. That will help to reduce the growth of mold because it removes the humidity that facilitates it.
Carpets can make your house stuffy and affect your health and comfort. You should clean a carpet immediately anything pours on it. Even if it is water, try to dry it before it forms mold.
If you find it hard to use the above methods to get rid of carpet odor, you can always consult a professional to help you get rid of it.