Hardwood floors need extra-special TLC. It may be easy to keep hardwood surfaces clean but the trick is to get between hardwood planks and remove stubborn dirt and grime. Dust and dirt can gather in between planks and no amount of sweeping and mopping would get this dirt off. The best way to clean hardwood floors is to use a vacuum specially made for hardwood floors.
Vacuums for hardwood floors are stronger than most vacuums and most have special attachments to be able to suck dirt easily. You will find hardwood floor vacuums in corded and cordless designs. There are lightweight vacuums and heavy duty models perfect for the toughest hardwood floor cleanup.
This best vacuum for hardwood floors review will help you find the most suitable model for your cleaning needs. We have six of the best hardwood floor vacuums for you. These vacuums are known for their top ratings and positive reviews. These vacuums are very useful for all types of floors, not just for hardwood flooring. And each of these vacuums have unique features to give your hardwood floors a good cleaning.
Review of the top vacuums for hardwood floors
- Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert Deluxe Canister Vacuum
You must use Bissell 1161, the hardwood expert, to clean your floors fast. The Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert is a canister vacuum that will efficiently clean your floor and protects floor surfaces. You will not find any marks, no wheel threads and scratches on your delicate hardwood flooring. The Bissell 1161 is a compact vacuum that you can use it on any surface and maneuver it to reach even the hardest to reach like underneath desks, tables and cabinets. And because it’s lightweight, you can easily store it away unlike large vacuums that are hard to keep. The Bissell 1161 has fingertip controls that will let you adjust the suction to work on various surfaces. It has a convenient Easy Empty dirt tank that will let you collect dirt and dispose it without any mess or spills.
What we liked
- Cleans efficiently but protects precious hardwood floors well
- With non-marking rubber wheels with felt threads
- Lightweight design so you can take it anywhere
- With a compact design so you can use it in tight spots and spaces
- With fingertip control so you can power the vacuum suction and use it on delicate items
- With an easy to use Easy Empty dirt tank for a mess-free disposal
- With extended reach Telescopic Extension Wand with hard floor tool
- Does not use vacuum bags
What we don’t like
- Hard to clean vacuum canisters
- Complaints that the vacuum had very weak suction
- Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
No more worrisome cords to remove messes and to clean hardwood floors with the Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner. This cordless vacuum cleaner uses fade-free lithium ion battery with interchangeable batteries so you can clean conveniently and efficiently anywhere. This Hoover vacuum has WindTunnel 3 Technology that uses three channels of suction to lift and remove debris on the floor surface and embedded dirt and grime especially in between wooden planks.
You can also clean all kinds of floors aside from hardwood floors with the Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner. It can quickly and seamlessly transition from carpet to hard floors without adding any attachments or accessories. It has Edge Cleaning Bristles to remove dirt, pet hair, dust and grime in hard to reach places. The Linx Cordless Stick also has a low profile base so you can easily clean underneath furniture and along the edges of furniture. You will never have to deal with scratches, bumps and accidents because its low profile lets you clean with ease.
What we liked
- With WindTunnel 3 Technology 3 channels of suction to remove deeply embedded dirt
- Multi-Floor Cleaning, easy transitions from carpeted floor to hardwood floors
- With Edge Cleaning Bristles, can remove dirt, dust and pet hair
- Can clean hard-to-reach edges
- With a low profile base design
- With intuitive power controls at your fingertips
- Wide cleaning path and extreme recline handle
- With a bottom release dirt cup
- You can instantly see how much fuel you got with the battery fuel gauge
- Uses LINX Cordless Fade-Free Lithium-ion Battery System
- With interchangeable batteries for cordless freedom
- You can clean anywhere because of its compact design
- With a 2-year warranty
What we don’t like
- Complaints of poor suction
- Batteries have a short life span
- Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum
You don’t have to be in a hurry to clean with this Eureka vacuum cleaner. No need to worry about battery power as well when you use the Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum. This vacuum has a removable handle so you can use it for above floor cleaning. Turn the brushroll on to clean surfaces like carpeted floors and area rugs. You will also be able to clean dirt and debris scattered on bare floors like a pro. It has a wide cleaning path at 10-inches so you can clean with only a few passes. There’s no need to purchase bags anymore with this Eureka vacuum cleaner. You will save money and reduce waste because it uses a washable dust cup filter. And when you are done using the Eureka Clean Lightweight Vacuum, you can remove the handle and store it away conveniently. This is a fantastic feature when you live in a small room or apartment.
What we liked
- With a 2 in 1 convertible stick and handheld vacuum design
- Can clean bare floors and can reach hard to reach areas
- With an on/off brushroll switch (on for cleaning low pile carpets and area rugs, off for bare floors)
- With translucent base to check for brushroll movement
- With a washable dust cup filter, no need to use vacuum bags
- Lightweight at 4 pounds
- With a free-standing design, can stay upright when not in use
- With a 15-foot long cord to clean without unplugging
- Wide 10-foot cleaning path
What we don’t like
- Complaints that it does not pick up fine dirt well
- Complaints about the cumbersome dirt canister
- Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum 3670G
Small and mighty Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum 3670G is ready for any cleaning jobs. You will clean without the stress because this vacuum is lightweight and easy to lift at less than 9 pounds. You won’t have to strain your back or arms as you clean your own home. It has a powerful Clean A 12-amp motor that provides continuous, powerful suction and to clean deep on carpets and hardwood floors. The Eureka Mighty Mite has a special blower port that blows away dirt and debris so you can clean very dusty areas like your garage, attic or outdoor spaces. It comes with Multisurface Cleaning Tools like crevice tool and a dual purpose brush as well as an upholstery nozzle so you can clean sofas, arm chairs, cushions, thick curtains and tapestries. And of course you don’t need to spend money on vacuum bags because this vacuum collects dirt and grime inside a reusable dust bag. You can empty this when it’s full and wash it clean.
What we liked
- Lightweight so it can be taken anywhere to clean
- You can lift it easily because it weighs less than 9 pounds
- Comes with a Clean A 12 amp motor that provides continuous and powerful suction
- Cleans hardwood and carpets deeply
- With a Blower Port so you can blow dirt and dust away in a room or space
- With Multisurface Cleaning Tools like a crevice tool, an upholstery nozzle and dusting brush
- With a dust bag that can be easily emptied
- Compact to store away because of a convenient cord wind
What we don’t like
- Soft telescopic wand
- The hose is too short
- Complaints that it had weak suction power
- Dirt Devil Power Air Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
You can clean twice as fast with the Dirt Devil Power Air Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum. This hardwood floor vacuum has Cyclonic Filtration that will let you clean any type of hardwood floor easily and more efficiently. This vacuum weighs just 7 pounds making it one of the most lightweight in the market; you will be able to take it anywhere inside your home or office to clean.
This Dirt Devil vacuum uses a dirt cup to collect dirt. Unlike other vacuums that use disposable vacuum bags, you don’t need to purchase bags time and again when you clean. All you need to do is to empty the dirt cup and wash it. It’s also simple to remove the dirt cup; just remove it from the bottom part of the Dirt Devil and you are done.
Despite being corded, you can clean anywhere inside your home because it has a very long 20-foot power cord. Its 10 amp motor gives the vacuum a steady suction which is ideal for vacuuming hardwood floors and carpets.
What we liked
- Steady and powerful Cyclonic Filtration
- Weighs less than 7 pounds despite its good suction power
- Can be maneuvered anywhere because its light to use
- Comes with a bottom empty dirt cup lets you dump dirt and empty the cup with just one button
- With Cyclonic Action, Single Cyclonic Air System to improve suction power
- With an 11-inch cleaning path
- With a 20-foot cord to prevent interruptions when vacuuming
- Comes with a powerful 10-Amp motor to ensure constant suctioning
- With a streamline design to collect dirt even in the tightest spaces
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
What we don’t like
- Suction power is too weak
- Complaints that it is not a good vacuum
- Dyson V6 Cord Free Vacuum
You can easily clean any surface because of the cordless Dyson V6 Cord Free vacuum. You can also use it up to 20 minutes of uninterrupted suction. It can clean all floor types because it is equipped to do so. It has stiff nylon bristles so you can remove deep-seated dirt from carpets. You may also remove minute dust from hardwood floors with its carbon fiber elements. The entire width of the vacuum opening has bristles to let you clean from edge to edge.
There is no cord to interrupt your cleaning because this vacuum is cord-free. The powerful fade-free suction also works with an easy to use trigger release. You can use it as a regular vacuum or use it in a handheld vacuum for cars, sofas,
What we liked
- Cord-free so you can take it anywhere to clean
- Can clean uninterruptedly for 20 minutes
- With a motorized cleaner head to clean all floor types
- With stiff nylon bristles for deep-seated dirt on carpets
- Carbon fiber filaments remove dust from hardwood floors
- Let’s you clean from edge to edge
- With a powerful continuous suction
- With a motorized cleaner head to accommodate all floor types
- Can be used handheld or like a traditional vacuum
What we don’t like
- Need to charge the battery out before you can use it
- Complaints that it has too much suction power
- Hard to empty and clean the plastic cup with dirt sticking inside the cup
How to find the best hardwood floor vacuum cleaner
Hardwood floor vacuum features
There are a lot of fantastic vacuum features to watch out for. The most popular feature for vacuums is the presence or the absence pf a power cord. It is a fact that cordless vacuums will let you clean non-stop without the annoying power cord. You can spend hours of uninterrupted cleaning with a vacuum that can work on different surface with ease.
Still there are features to help you clean easily. You will find new accessories, better motor power and more. All these can help you enhance your cleaning time and the way you clean can make or break your cleaning experience. Most of the time additional features could cost you more so if you don’t want to spend so much, choose a regular hardwood vacuum instead.
Hardwood floor vacuum motor power
The vacuum motor plays a huge roll in providing efficient suction power and therefore it would be best to choose a vacuum with a powerful motor. Motor power comes in horsepower or HP with regular vacuums having only 1 or ½ HP motor to provide good suction. Enhancing the motor’s suction power are attachments and accessories. Vacuum accessories like telescopic attachments, carpet brush and crevice tools are just some of the popular attachments that come with the vacuum. Therefore, aside from the vacuum motor power you must choose a vacuum according to the attachments and accessories that it carries.
Hardwood floors vacuum accessories
The vacuum accessories can help you clean well and you need special accessories to clean tough hardwood. The surface of hardwood floors can be easily cleaned with a brush with a wide opening to easily suck up dirt, grime, dust and hair. Crevices in between wooden planks are a challenge and usually a special crevice tool is the best choice for the job. So pay attention to vacuum cleaner accessories to be able to get the best deal on hardwood floor vacuums.
Hardwood floors vacuum ergonomic features
Vacuums with good motor and complete accessories are very popular but alongside choosing great features, you must also look for ergonomic features like a comfortable handle, easy to access controls and efficient attachments make a good vacuum for hardwood floors. Just some of the most common are vacuum controls located along the handle, ergonomic handles and attachments and more. Again, the more updated and more ergonomically-designed your vacuum is, the more expensive it is. And if you don’t want to pay more then you can otherwise choose a regular vacuum cleaner instead.
Hardwood floors safety features
Safety should be your utmost concern when buying vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors. There is a number of safety features included in updated hardwood vacuum cleaners. Vacuum motors are now more powerful as well as safe to use. Vacuum controls are located along the handles which makes it easier to power on and off the machine. This adds safety to using the vacuum since you can stop the suction if there is any problem.
Another important safety feature is an ergonomic handle. You would be holding the vacuum for longer periods especially if you will be cleaning an entire house it would be best to use a vacuum with a comfortable handle. A longer power cord is also a good safety feature so you don’t need to use extension cords which could pose an electrical hazard.
Finally, safety is not just for the vacuum user but it also extends to the floor and the surrounding areas as well. Updated vacuums have non-skid or non-marking wheels to protect hardwood floors. Because updated vacuums may be handheld and are lighter, these make it safe to use on hardwood floors and carpets. Vacuum accessories like telescopic attachments, crevice tools and brushroll attachments make it safer to clean. You won’t need to worry about dust and dirt escaping when you have these vacuum accessories or attachments.
Most vacuums are made of hard plastic which is the best choice because vacuums need to be easy to use and carry anywhere. A vacuum also has plastic parts and attachments which makes it easier to clean and to maintain. Metal parts will only make the vacuum heavier and thus harder to take anywhere.
No more vacuum bags
Possibly an important thing to consider is whether or not you want a vacuum that uses dirt bags or a vacuum that uses a reusable dust bag or canister. Disposable dust or dirt bags are indeed easy to use since you will simply attach it to the vacuum, clean and remove the bag once it is full. Canisters and reusable bags have to be manually cleaned after and could be a hassle.
However, using canisters and reusable bags are cleaner and easier on the environment. It is also cheaper too since you won’t have to purchase bags anymore. Most dirt canisters and bags have a large capacity and therefore won’t fill up easily. You won’t have to handle dirt manually as well with vacuum features that simply let the canister slide and dump the dirt into a trash bin. All-in-all, it takes a little getting used to when using canisters and reusable bags but it helps a lot with the environment and can reduce your cleaning bills as well.
Hardwood floors vacuum warranties and guarantees
Most updated vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors have up to 2 years warranty with some models also offering money back guarantees if you are not completely satisfied with your purchases. Two years is definitely a very short time period which is why most homeowners purchase extended warranties on their purchases. You must choose vacuums with a longer warranty or guarantee to get the most out of your money.
The Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert Deluxe Canister Vacuum is the clear winner in our best vacuum for hardwood floors review. It has a powerful suction to clean up messes easily but will protect your hardwood floors. It is easy and compact to use despite being a corded vacuum. It has easy fingertip controls right on the handle so you can clean in a snap. The Bissell 1161 is a bagless vacuum cleaner so this means you don’t use any disposable bags to clean. It has a large dirt tank and with the Bissell’s Easy Empty dirt tank you don’t need to touch dirt. It opens from the bottom to dispose dirt without any kind of mess.
If you think that the Bissell 1161 Hard Floor Expert is your vacuum then follow this link. We hope you found the hardwood vacuum for your home or office using our review.